My Mother-in-Law’s Recipe
This is a favorite family recipe and tradition. We gather in the kitchen and form an “assembly line” that even the smallest person can participate in. It’s a fun time to visit and catch up and ends with a mountain of delicious chile relleños.
I hope your family has its own fun tradition. Please share them with us!
- 1 dozen roasted & peeled green chiles
- 1 block of cheddar cheese
cut into long sticks
- 1 cup of flour
- 2 cups of cornmeal
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups of milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Slice a small hole in the side of chili and insert cheese.
- Dip chile in batter.
- Fry in hot vegetable oil until golden brown.
- Serve with rice and beans if desired.
Recipe originally published in Focus on Roswell 2019: Summer Edition.