Looking for a fun way to get outdoors, explore, and learn about wildlife?
This Spring (March 15th – April 15th), we are hosting a virtual BioBlitz through iNaturalist.
What is a BioBlitz?
BioBlitzes are used to gather citizen science data and get a snapshot of the wildlife in a certain area.
Lincoln National Forest is encouraging individuals, families, and small groups to get outdoors and discover life re-emerging on the forest!
To participate in the event:
- Download the iNaturalist mobile app to your smartphone.
- Create or sign in to your free iNaturalist account.
- Search projects for “Lincoln National Forest Spring 2021 BioBlitz”.
- Join the project as an observer.
- Follow the instructions within the app to learn how to post an observation.
How to Gather Data
Once you’re familiar with the app it’s time to go out to your favorite picnic area, hiking trail or scenic drive and document the plant and animal species you encounter.
You won’t need to be able to identify what you find right away. You can post an unknown species and let the iNaturalist community help you identify it!
No Cell Service?
If you are without cell service on our excursion, you can take photos on a phone or camera and upload them to the app or the web platform once you return to service.
- Take only photos, videos, or audio recordings of wildlife.
- Keep a respectful and safe distance from all animals.
- Do not attempt to capture or physically collect any animal or plant species.
- When out on the forest, practice Leave No Trace principles and responsible recreation.
This includes following Covid-19 guidelines:
- Social distancing.
- Avoiding large groups.
- Wearing face coverings when in public.
If you have questions about the BioBlitz event or are unsure of places to visit on the Lincoln National Forest, email the event organizer Warren.Hartman@usda.gov.
There’s an app called iNaturalist and a list of projects for participants to complete. For more information, please visit https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/lincoln/home/?cid=FSEPRD891655 or email email@example.com