The New Mexico Department of Health confirmed additional presumptive cases of the COVID-19 coronavirus over the weekend, bringing the total to 17 cases on Sunday afternoon.
The four new cases reported by health officials on Sunday involved four males residing in Bernalillo County, ranging in age from their 20’s, 30’s and 40’s.
The DOH said it was tracing all individuals in recent contact with the patients. Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham’s office told the Sun-News the four news cases are all travel related. 10 of the 17 cases so far involve Bernalillo County residents. One man in his 80’s was reported to be hospitalized.
The first six cases identified by DOH appeared to be related to travel outside of New Mexico, and at least three of the subsequent cases involved household contact with individuals who had tested positive for the virus.
The DOH reported it had completed testing on 583 people for the coronavirus as of Sunday afternoon.
The cases are described as “presumptive positive” while they await confirmation by the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
So far the number of known cases, per county, are:
- Bernalillo County: 10
- Sandoval County: 2
- Santa Fe County: 3
- Socorro County: 2
Symptoms of COVID-19 include fever, cough and shortness of breath. New Mexicans showing those symptoms were encouraged to call their healthcare provider or the state’s COVID-19 hotline at 1-855-600-3453.
Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham declared a public health emergency in New Mexico on March 11, and on Sunday her office emphasized the important of “social distancing” in order to slow any community spread of the novel coronavirus, which has been declared a pandemic by the World Health Organization.
The DOH’s coronavirus webpage is updated with current information, including answers to common questions and links to resources, at cv.NMHealth.org. Additional information is available at www.NewMexico.gov or by telephone at (833) 551-0518.
Source: Las Cruces Sun News/ Photo: KOB